Monday, November 22, 2010

Chocolate Crackle Cookie


My husband and I have a holiday cookie exchange each year, well actually this is the 2nd year that we've had it, but it'll be something we will do every year. So, I go through recipes over and over and try to find the right one for the exchange. I found this on a random search at www.crisco.com and this cookie is so good that I can't wait to share it at the party. I'm sharing it NOW! My husband and I aren't chocolate lovers but this is by far the best chocolate cookie we've ever had. Crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside and the sugar crust is the perfect accent the the bitterness of the chocolate. If you haven't ever tried any of my recipes THIS IS THE ONE TO TRY!! This dough does well overnight so if you can mix it up in the evening and bake in the morning that's perfectly fine. You have to chill the dough for 3 hrs so make sure and make it early so you're not waiting till midnight to bake your cookies. The recipe itself is very straight forward and extremely easy. I didn't combine the dry and wet ingredients seperately. I creamed the wet ingredients together and then added the dry on top so I just had to use one bowl. I couldn't tell any difference when I made that change. If you're worried about lumps then you can sift the dry ingredients in. Would love to hear comments on if you liked this recipe! Bon Appetite!

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1 stick Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
OR 1 cup Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar

PREPARATION DIRECTIONS:1.BEAT brown sugar, shortening and vanilla in large bowl at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended. Add eggs; beat well.

2.COMBINE flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda. Add to shortening mixture; beat at low speed just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Cover and chill 3 hours.

3.HEAT oven to 375ºF. Shape dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar, then in powdered sugar to coat completely. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.

4.BAKE 8 to 10 minutes or until cookies are set. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheet. Remove cookies to wire rack to cool completely.

No comments: