Sunday, January 30, 2011

Thank God for Multivitamins

I have a secret to tell you. My kids don’t eat vegetables. Surprisingly, the only think they’ll eat is spinach souffle and it’s actually frozen and comes out of a box. Before I had children I had this picturesque vision of my sweet boys sitting at the table nice and neatly eating their asparagus that I had gently steamed topped with aioli and pancetta. Organic of course. “More please!”, they would ask and I’d happily wink at Chris as he gives me a “thumbs up” for raising our kids right. I’m actually laughing as I’m typing this because the only way my boys will touch asparagus is to allow them to use it as swords and I’m not sure Chris has ever given me a “thumbs up”, so if he did it would probably weird me out. So you know what? I’m over it. Some people may think that I’m doing my children a disservice, that I should force my children to eat their veggies. I’m just not going to do that. I see this point in my life as a teaching experience. My kitchen is a classroom and although they won’t eat my veggies, they can smell how yummy they are, they sure as hell can tell me WHAT they are, how to chop them up and which ones Daddy likes. They can sit on the counter top and sing with me as I cook and know that everything I’m making is yummy (even though they won’t try it), fresh and made with love. My kids know where their vegetables come from. They garden with me in the spring and pick all the peas to shell. I’d rather have those memories then have my kids eat vegetables and be crabby and boring. My kids rock…even if they don’t eat veggies. So, now to the recipe. I thought of this post because Chris loves roasts and although Lucas helps me with every bit of it, he won't touch it. To be quite honest, I had never made a roast before because I refused to be that mother who uses her crock pot for everything she makes. It turns out my crock pot is awesome and I’m using it more!! Hope everyone enjoys this recipe. It’s perfect for the busy days and is absolutely DELICIOUS!!! I’ve started making it once a week until Chris gets tired of it.

Ingredients

2 pounds boneless beef roast (I like to use round roast)

1 teaspoon vegetable oil

salt and pepper to taste

1 onion, quartered

a bag of baby carrots

1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup (if you use fat free it tastes the same )

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Directions

In a large skillet over medium high heat, saute the roast in the oil for 15 minutes, or until all sides are well browned. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.

Place the onion, carrots, garlic and parsley in the bottom of a slow cooker. Place the roast on top of the vegetables and pour the soup over the roast and the vegetables.

Cover the slow cooker and cook on low setting for 6-8 hrs.

No comments: