Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Don't Knock it Till Ya Try It...

I’ve had a lot of meetings in the evenings lately so earlier this week I came home around 7 pm listening to my three year old screaming at my husband “NO DADDY!!! I WANT CHEESE ON MY CUPCAKE!!!!!” “I WANT CHEEEEEEESE!!”. I couldn’t help but giggle because the kid eats so much cheese he’s seriously going to turn into a big block of it. After his tantrum had subsided (and we reminded him that yelling at Daddy wasn’t very nice) I got him settled for bed then started thinking he might have a good idea. Cheese cupcakes? I mean, I would do anything to make my lil’ boy’+s tummy happy J.  I’d never heard of such a thing but promised him that I’d find a recipe or work one up that involved his endearing love for “yellow and orange” cheeses.. I googled and googled then came upon this recipe below. I have an aversion for processed cheeses and this, of course, has Velveeta in it, along with cheddar and sweetened condensed milk. So, my poor baby James has been sick the past two day and I had to make something for him. We decided on the cheese cupcakes! I have to say, I have the happiest three year old in Texas right now. The cupcakes are moist, fluffy and have a hint of orange in them that cuts the sharpness of the cheddar. This would be a PERFECT snack for your school children who can’t take peanut butter for lunches and snacks! Enjoy!

Cheese Cupcakes

1 3/4 cups flour, sifted
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon orange extract
8 ounces sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup Velveeta cheese, shredded
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Change Measurements: US | Metric

Directions:
 In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
In a medium bowl, beat butter, sugar, eggs and extract.
Pour in flour mixture in thirds adding 1/2 can of sweetened condensed milk in between (beginning and ending with flour mixture.).
Add in grated Velveeta and blend well.
Put in muffin cups 3/4 cup full only.
Top with grated cheddar cheese.
Bake in 350 oven for 20-25 minutes.

No comments: